Storing jewellery correctly is crucial to its longevity. Here are a few tips:
- A zip/lock plastic bag is a very practical way to store individual items of jewellery as exposure to air/environment (especially humid conditions) encourage the appearance of tarnish.
- Acid free tissue paper is another great way of protecting jewellery from exposure to the environment. By carefully folding your chain bracelets or necklaces into the tissue you can also reduce the risk of tangling.
- Always store items of jewellery separately to prevent items scratching or rubbing against each other.
- Avoid storing jewellery next to heating vents, windowsills or in the bathroom as damp and hot conditions will cause your jewellery to quickly tarnish.
Other things to remember in regards to keeping your jewellery shiny and vital are:
- Avoid exposure to harsh chemicals and acids (such as household chemicals, perfumes, hairspray) as products such as these will erode the finish or cause the discolouration of your jewellery.
- Jewellery should never be worn in the pool, shower or the sea. Hot water, bright sunshine, perspiration and chlorine can all speed up the tarnishing process.
- Try not to wear overnight.
- Remove jewellery when exercising, cleaning, gardening or any other kind of rough or physical work.
If you find your silver or solid gold jewellery is looking a little tired and needs reviving then a silver/gold polishing cloth is a great way to restore glamour and sparkle.
If your gold plated jewellery is looking a little jaded, then a very gentle brush (with an ultra soft brush, i.e. a baby toothbrush) in warm soap water will bring the shine back nicely. Make sure you rinse thoroughly after cleaning and pat dry with a very clean soft cloth.
However well cared for your jewellery is, it is always nice to give your Louise Wade jewels a complete reconditioning service from time to time. We gladly offer this service - it is important to us that your Louise Wade jewellery is always looking good!
Repairs such as broken chains or accidently damaged jewellery can also be undertaken.
Please feel free to contact us for a quote.
Please note that all jewellery repairs take approximately 4-6 weeks for completion.